Sunday, April 8, 2012

Let's Talk Hunger Games

Ok, so I finished the Hunger Games book series. Let me start out by explaining what an outstanding acheivement this is for me and what a testiment it should stand as for these books. I am not a huge reader. It puts me to sleep. But NOT these books!
Now I know that most of you hipsters out there are probably tired of listening to people rant and rave about this book series and about the movies. And I know that most of you haters out there are probably yelling verbal arguments against my praise through your computer screens.
...newsflash.
...can't hear you. :)
And let me just say right now that maybe... let's keep and open mind here, but just maybe there is a REASON that the Hunger Games has turned into such a hype! *gasp* Absurd, I know! Forgive me for the suggestion, I was foolish!
Anywhosle... Yes I finally watched the movies. And yes I am going to talk about it. And you are going to like it!
So y'all know by now that Mimi and I are pretty much the same being just split into two different bodies, correct? Correct. Obviously we both had to see the Hunger Games in theatres... I mean, c'mon! And circustances just happened to be so that we were both betrayed by our families who went and saw the movie without us, and that EVIT just so happened to not be scheduled on the Thursday before Good Friday, and we just so happened to have to thrown a little dance party upon the realization that we would, in fact, be seeing the Hunger Games TOGETHER! How poetically fantastic that I would get to see the movie with the one who convinced me to read them in the first place... *wipes tear*
Before I address some concerns that I have heard from people I have talked to about the movie, let me first get accross to you what I thought of the movie itself... PERFETION. That is all I have to say. :)
Now then, it makes me sad that others have not been able to see the movie and I know that Mimi and I did. We both agreed that going into this we would not be able to jdge the movie based on the book, NO movie is ever able to compare to the book in complexity, and detail, and it is is no way ever a replication of the book which is what I think most people dissapoint themselves with. What many people do to themselves, which is a disservice really, is expect the movie to be an exact projection of what they in their minds invisioned the books to be like. Almost as if they are preparing to watch a line-by-line replica of the story they love so much. This. Is. Not. So. Movie makers can never hope to acheive what the books are able to reach, so what the movies really are are one person's interpretation of the books. Instead of going into the movie ready to watch the book, I set the book aside and perpared myself to watch the movie as a seperate work of art, if you will. With that mindset, the movie really is, in nearly all aspects, PERFECTION and I will stand by and defend that opinion until you all unfriend me on Facebook! :)

So what were some of the most popular gripes that I heard people mentioning 'bout this movie? (beware, if you haven't seen the movie yet, stop reading now! You have been alerted of future spoils...)

1. There Was No Madge. This I really didn't have any problem with. Yes it was a little bit dissapointing because she was such a loveable character in the book and Katniss' only real friend besides Gale, but I didn't think at all that Katniss getting the Mockingjay pin from the Hob (which was spectacular by the way!) detracted from the story any bit and actually added to emotional goodbye between Prim and Katniss. When Katniss is comforting Prim before the reaping she gives her the Mockingjay pin to "protect" her. She does not do this to give her false hope, but to calm her troubled mind and ease her fears because she truly believes that the odds are really in her favor. When Prim's name is pulled from the reaping we not only feel frightened for Prim, but we also feel the sense of failure on Katniss' part as her words, "You're name's only been in there once, they're not gonna pick you" fall dead on the events taking place. Later, after Katniss has volunteered and Prim gives her back the pin saying, "To protect you..." the significance behind the promis is magnified and made for what I felt a much more emotional goodbye and a much more visible bond between the sisters.
Photobucket

2. The Shaky Cinematography. This technique used in the movie was described as, "stomach churning" to me by those who had seen the movie before me. What others had said dissapointed them was that teh camera seemed to be focusing on random things like a pair of lips, or a shoulder pad, or a door frame, when all they wanted to see was the whole picture. While I understand some frustration behind this, it didn't do that for me. For me it only added to my suspense and feelings of involvement into what was happening at the time. The bumpy camera was used mainly in District 12 and the bloodbath, and in both of those scenes it made me feel more immersed in the setting rather than viewing a movie. In District 12 the ominous feeling of the upcoming reaping kept sending shoots of "dread adrenaline" (you know what I mean, the kind you get two seconds you're about to give a speech, or perform, or talk to a certain special someone? :) ..don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about.) through my body as if I was actually in danger of being picked myself. The close up focus on Effie Trinket as she was speaking on the platform also helped detract from distractions that I may have found in their surroundings and kept me focused on the task at hand, which I believe was the intention of the director. And in the bloodbath, frankly, I'm grateful I didn't get the big picture. Not only did it add to the pandemonium of the first day in the arena, but it also jolted the audience out of the "prep mode" before the Hunger Games started and right into the pace of the Games.

3. The "Hunger" was Missing From The Hunger Games. Ok... this critique I found to be a little bit silly. What I heard was that people didn't think that the starvation was emphasised enough, the eople of District 12 looked to well fed, and that the Lamb Stew wasn't included. Well please forgive me for not being more concerned with Katniss' favorite Capitol meal, but I thought that they protrayed the starving District just fine! From the frame with the two starving children peeking timidly out of a house, to Katniss' furious, "D**** you Gale!!!" when he scares away the deer in the woods. It's also obvious when the Peacekeepers are about to take Gale away. This is the moment when she finally looses her cool, the brave face comes down, and she half speaks half sobs, "Whatever you do Gale, don't let them starve!" I think that this line (which is, in fact, quoted directly from the book) speaks volumes more than emaciating their actors would have, because this is Gale. Her truest friend. The one she trusts with everything. And when it all comes down to it, in the last moments they have together (because she is not expecting to come home), her last words are a plea to save her family from starvation. I don't feel like they needed to include Peeta and Katniss gourging themselves on the train, or the feast coming to the cave to get that point across.

4. They Cut Out Everything From the Cave Scene! Quite frankly, I'm glad they cut out the majority of the make out scenes and mushy conversations from the cave. I felt like this part of the book, as beautiful as it was, had it's moments where I was like, "Ok, c'mon not Katniss. Maybe you're overdoing your part a leeeeetle too much." I almost fel unfomfortable with the amount of kissing in the cave. I feel like if they had put every single kiss into the movie it would have either detracted from the significance of the kiss (if you read the books, you know which one I'm talking about) or it would have made Katniss seem like a "floozy" (any cyber fives for the Nacho quote?) No, the one kiss on the cheeck, followed by the kiss was absolutely perfect! For me, there were other things that showed Peeta's love for Katniss more than any kisses could have. The applying of the medicine for example! :) I mean, seriously! The guy is dying of blood poisoning, she comes back with medecine, and the first thing he says is, "Are you ok? Pay not attention to my disgusting leg that looks like it's about to start eminating deadly gases, you have a cut on your forehead! That medicine's for me? Oh perfect, give it to me so I can use it on you!" I mean really Peeta, sometimes it's ok to be a little bit un-perfect... not that you would know. And when Katniss is done applying the medicine on his leg he applys it next to her forehead with the most gentle strokes of his thumb I had to remind myself that they were just acting. The eye contact, the gingerness of his touch, everything was oozing of, "KATNISS I LOVE YOOOOU!" Also, the sleeping syrup was indeed lft out, and while I quite enjoyed that part of the book and was a little bit dissapointed about it, I wasn't up in arms. Just like Madge, I didn't feel like it completely unhinged the entire story. And Peeta's, "I watched you go home every day" was not creepster status guys. Edward, "I watch you sleep every night" was creepster status. Peeta's declaration of his remembering the bread and regretting not going to her/watching her go home from school felt more sincere than creepy. In fact, it was almost protective. I mean, from the second he's reaped Peeta's mission is to make sure nothing happens to Katniss, and his watchful eye over her and providing the bread I felt was an extension of that. All in all, I felt that the cave scenes were beautiful, a great length, and most of all innocent. The whole thing just felt sweet, not creepy, not sensual, just sweet.

5. Haymitch Was Too Sober. ...I don't even want to address this. Do you not remember Haymitch proclaiming in the book after he sees Katniss and Peeta have some promise that he'll "sober up" enough to help them? No? Just because it happened faster in the movie (they only have 2 1/2 hours you know) doesn't mean that he wasn't a total drunk before the Games started. Simmer down people, simmer down.
Photobucket

6. Cinna Being Too Touchy Feely. Ok, may I just say one thing? Nobody disses Cinna. He's my main man, and probably one of the best depicted characters in the movie! He was complete and utter perfection!!! My hat is tipped in your direction Sir Lenny Cravitz. My hat is tipped. Anyhow, I don't think I could have said it any better than BBL did when she said that Cinna's hug, kiss on the cheek, etc. all felt more fatherly than they did petophiley. Cinna and Katniss held a special connection in the books, and one of the most distinct things about Cinna is that in the Capito where everybody looks like they just came from the circus, Cinna is reletively normal besides his gold eyeliner (which they included... LOVE!). That makes Cinna the most relatable character to Katniss, and since he keeps it so real Katniss feels like she can trust him more than anybody around her at the moment. That being said, in her moments right before she enters the arena she is more scared than she has ever been before. She believes she is about to die. She is visibly shaking. Not going to lie, so was I. Before she enters that arena Cinna is her only source of comfort and his hug, kiss, and revealance of the Mockingjay pin are sources of comfort to Katniss. Don't diss Cinna.
Photobucket

7. What Was With Cato's Death Speech? I dunno. Really. It wasn't in the book, nor was it really hinted at in the book. But you know what? Normally I'm not a huge fan of when directors add things that didn't happen in the books, but this I was really ok with. In fact I felt that it added leages of more depht to his chaacter that, frankly, didn't exhist in the book. His statement of, "I'm dead anyway... I guess I always was, though I didn't realize it until now" (please excuse my indirect quoting) was what really stuck me in the heart. Cato is a scary character, I don't care how hot the actor was. When he looks at you his eyes seem to scan you over thinking how best to murder you, and that little heack cock he would do? Ooooo *shudder*. He was a scary dude. So those few minutes of vulnerability (even if he was choke holding Peeta and threatening to snap his neck) really added some dimension to his character.
Photobucket

8. The "Muttations" Were All Wrong. Yeah, not gonna lie, they were. They more closely resembled the Wargs from the Two Towers rather than the half man, half mutt creatures described in the book. However, they were still terrifying. Even if they didn't seemingly have the eyes of the fallen tributes (which I'm not sure how they would have conveyed on screen... it's not like in the book where we can hear Katniss' thoughts and observations), Mimi and I both agreed in the theatre that something about their ears and noses were eerily human and made them REALLY FREAKING scary.

9. The Chariot Scene Was Lame-Wad. You know, yes maybe I did imagine their fire suits to be completely engulfed in flames rather than just a cape of flames, but I thought that the whole Peeta inniciating the hand holding totally made up for it! At first he reaches for her hand (just the hand-in-hand mind you) and she's like, "Dude! Let the freak go you creeper!" and the Peeta's like, "Dude, don't get your head in a tizzy! It's for the crowd *wink wink*!" And then BAM! They hold hands (fingers locked this time), hold them high, and once again Peeta manages to win over the crowd. I don't think of this as a let down in the wardrobe, but an addeed dimension to Peeta's character.

10. The Prep Team.. Was That Them or Was I Just Crazy? Ok... I have decided that yes... that WAS the prep team we have all grown to love. Remember the one who was like, "Oh we have to hose you down again before we send you to Cinna, NBD"? Yeah, he totes had orange curls. It was totes Flavius. But one thing that I must clear up that I read on a blog was this foolish criticism, "What was weird was the time wasted in the prepping scene of Katniss getting waxed followed by a few minutes of her confusedly asking, “What was that? What was that? “. Flavius: “Oh you need to be hosed down again. ” Cut to Cinna’s entrance: “That was the bravest thing I’ve ever seen. ” Well we, the audience, saw very little." Ok, that time wasted? No, it wasn't wasted, because Cinna was obviously not referring to her braveness as being able to endure the prep team (which I'm sure did take a fair amount of courage :) ), but to her volunteering for Prim in thereaping. That being cleared up, the brief scene with the prep team, was, yes, sadly short, but didn't detract from the movie in any way, nor do I feel like it will detract from the future films. It will be easy enough to add them back in in Catching Fire (if not easier), and if they are never added in, it won't unhinge the entire story.

11. Peeta Wasn't Deadly Enough in the Arena. I've heard people say that they were dissapointed that Peeta's first kill in the arena was played down tremendously if not covered up completely. Yes, it was played down, but it wasn't even that prominent in the book either. And no, I don't think that it was covered up completely. You hear and see the career pack coming up (terrifying by the way) and you are disgusted at how much obvious enjoyment they take from killing the other tributes... and then comes Peeta! At first you want to scream, "Fly you fool!" all Gandalf style and the boy before you realize that he's one of them. And then you feel sick. The fact that Peeta is tagging along behind them incinuates that he was the final killer of teh girl. But really, I see no problem in making Peeta any less of a killer. C'mon people, he doesn't want to be a peice in their games, remember??? :)

12. Peeta Loosing His Leg. Yeah, that may be a bit potentially problematic in the movies to come. However, it wasn't a story altering fact, and in fact I found myself sort of forgetting about his leg until it would mention it and I'd have an, "Oh yeah, that's right..." moment. However, if they do want to bring it up Peeta is attacked twice in the leg area by the Mutts, and is obviously limp-running to the cornucopia. It'll be ok guys. :)

13. What Was With That Cornucopia? Yeah, I really don't know. Ask anybody, Mimi and I audibally declared, "What the heck kind of cornucopia is that?" when the arena was first revealed. Let's just stop talking about it now. :)

14. The Absence of the Body Snatching Hovercrafts. Yeah, I didn't even realize the absence of this detail until Cato's death (thank heavens it was ten times less drawn out than it was in the book). When they hopped off the cornucopia I flinched just a little bit because I was expecting to see Cato's "Muttatiously" devoured body lying in the grass and when it was gone I was like, "What the?" until I remembered the hovercrafts. This really didn't make a great difference to anybody who read the books, but to someone who never did it may have been confusing.

15. The Absence of the "Psych Peeta, I Don't Love You" Moment. Again, I will agree with this. The only taste of the betrayal of Katniss to Peeta we get is the conversation in the train, "What do we do now." "Try to forget I guess." "But I don't want to forget..." *heartbreaking eye contact* My only hope for this is that the betrayal will be addressed in Catching Fire somehow, but in the defense of the movie, the "fake" romance was never played up as much either. I think that a dramatic, "Peeta, it was fake. Sorry to burst your bubble" moment wouldn't have quite fit with the way they portrayed the romance in the arena. If you notice, Katniss is quite rigid and distant from Peeta after they leave the arena. But one thing I will say is that I wouldn't have minded sitting in the theatre for twenty more minutes to see the dramatic Katniss and Peeta being swept up by the hovercraft/Katniss going momentarily insane not knowing whether Peeta is alive or not. Twas one of my favorite parts of the book, but then again, that's what the book is for right?! :D
Photobucket
I could go on and on about how wonderfully this movie portrayed the book! Their attention to detail was spot on with the things they were able to include from Cinna's gold eyelier, to Peeta's heavy footfalls in the forrest. And the braid touch at the end? Right before Peeta says, "three" in the countdown to eating the nightlock? GAH! Just kill me now! Again, it showed more love for Katniss than ANY kiss ever could have! It showed the tenderness we saw in the cave, and it also showed that the last memory of Katniss was enough for him. He was willing to die if his last memory could be of her. So yes. Movie = Perfection.
Another thing I loved? In the books I feel like our perception of Panem, the Capitol, and even the other characters is almost limited since we are seeing it from Katniss' perspective. For example, Peeta at the begining? TOTES couldn't be farther from the truth! One thing that really set the movie apart from the book was that you were hearing/seeing the story from an omniscient point of view so we are able to see the Games not only from Katniss' point of view but from the citizens of District 12, and even the Game Makers! We get to see Haymitch negotiating with sponsers, and President Snow manipulating Seneca Crane (is it weird that I found him vaguely attractive... it must be his facial hair).
Photobucket
It was also crazy seeing the Games from the cockpit of the Gamemakers themselves! I for one never imagined it to be so "ground control" looking, but it was so sickening being able to see the satisfaction that these people got from their work that ultimately decided how creatively children were going to die. They were almost like Imagineers gone horribly wrong. Gah, it was all so perfect! However I will say this: the movie was for sure made for people who read the books. It made references to things without explaining them that made PERFECT sense to those who read the books, but absolutely no sense to those who didn't, such as Katniss' tracker jacker hallucinations where she is re-living her father's death. Or Effie Trinket's character. She isn't exactly explained, but by the book readers she is a beloved character! So maybe that's why some people didn't like it? I dunno. I don't want to imagine a world where I don't like the Hunger Games.
Ultimately I don't ever think I'll be able to express just how perfectly I think Hollywood captured this movie! Will I ever be able to wait for this movie to come out onto DVD? No I really don't think so. :) But really, people have asked me my favorite parts of this movie and I have decided that that's an impossible feat. I mean, how could you ever take something so perfect and pinpoint just one or two perfections and dub them MORE perfect than the other perfects? You cannot I tell you. So let's categorize.

Top Crying Moments (Because If You Didn't Cry In This Movie You Have No Heart).
1. The Reaping
2. Prim and Katniss' goodbye.
3. Peeta crying in the car... when Peeta cries, the world cries.
4. The uprising in District 11.
5. And of course, Rue's death. I kind of bawled my freaking tear ducts out on Mimi's shoulder.
Photobucket

Top Swooning Moments (It's Peeta... I Mean, C'mon).
1. Peeta's hand squeeze at the reaping, it was subtle but you could TOTALLY tell.
2. "Because she came here with me..." NUF. SAID.
3. When Peeta recalls the bread scene. "I should have gone to you!" GAH! Kill me now!
4. Scratch that, the entire cave scene in general. :)
5. The braid touch. :) Oh the braid touch.
Photobucket

Top Scariest Moments (Top Scariest? Is That Correct Grammar?).
1. Again, the Reaping... my heart was pounding so hard even though I already knew who would be picked!
2. The career pack scenes. When they first were joking about the District 8 kill? Chills.
3. The part where the Mutt jumps out of the forrest and attacks Peeta? I think everybody in the theatre peed their pants!
4. The bloodbath. No words.
5. Any scene with President Snow in it really.
6. Hands down the scariest part for me was the minutes before Katniss steps into the tube and into the arena. I was seriously shaking right there with Katniss and I had to squeeze Mimi's hand the whole time. So. Freaking. Suspenseful!
Photobucket

And that is all. I could keep going all night on the subject! The moral of this post is... go watch the Hunger Games... unless you haven't read the books of course, in which case you MUST LEAVE THE COMPUTER NOW AND START THE BOOKS! Aight? Aight. :)

P.S. Stay tuned for my first trip to Disneyland post! :)
P.P.S. Please forgive my prolonged absence. This week has been the craziest week of my short little life, plus I was enthralled in the Hunger Games and couldn't do anything but fangirl about it... which I guess I kind of just did. :)
P.P.P.S. Peace out home sizzles!

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs