Thursday, April 19, 2012

In The Casting of Finnick Odair

Okay guys, it's time to talk Catching Fire. Yep, still a fan. Aren't you? :)
But we'e not here to talk about the book, that is another post for another FREE day... because let's keep it real folks, once I start blogging Hunger Games I can't stop. That movie review blog seriously took me close to five hours to write! My mind just kept gushing through my fingers and out onto the keyboard! No, I am here to talk about the movie!

But anyhow, first item of business: Who the Heck is Directing the Thing?
Yes, as many of you have heard, Gary Ross decided that he was going to hang up his Hunger Games hat, and leave the project of Catching Fire to another director. Tears were shed, teeth were gnashed, and Lionsgate was left running fastly and furiously for a new director. Now people... this was something mighty scary! I mean, we've already established that The Hunger Games was perfection, and that Gary Ross interpreted the book into the movie masterfully! A new director could potentially SCREW UP the entire show! I mean, let's keep it real people... a new man on set? Scary prospects. Needless to say, Lionsgate has hd one heck of a job trying to replace Sir Ross, and everybody has been destroying their cuticles in the anticipation of it all. Now with all of this being said, are you ready to hear who just got a contract offer today? I'll give you a hint, he directed I am Legend and Water for Elephants... yes I know, after hearing that I was sold too. :) The one, the only, Francis Lawrence!
Photobucket
Knowing that this man may potentially be on the job, I can sleep well at night. Seeing this man's work, I can trust him with my beloved Catching Fire... will he do better than Ross did? That remains to be seen. Will he still do one heck of a great job? I'd bet money that with his guy behind the scenes, that his movie will kick some major gluteus maximus!

Other Item of Business: Who the Heck Will They Cast as Finnick?
Okay peeps, can I share a secret with you? In a competition between Finnick and Peeta in regards to whom I love more, Finnick wins hand down. Now before you crucify me for loving the obviously most loveable male character in the series, let me tell you right now that I have loved Finnick even before he became "cool" in Mockingjay, and it had nothing to do with his face (because let's get real... he's more than handsome, the ma is a freaking greek god!) . One thing that really striked me with Finnick was his complete and utter disregard for the fact that he was going into the arena for a second time. He was a humorous person, finishing Katniss' knots to annoy/fake flirt (we know it's fake because, c'mon, he's got Annie!) with her, and when he dressed in that net and offering her sugar cubes? DUDE! Maybe his smirk was bigger in my mind than it was in yours, but dude... this man has the world wrapped around his finger, he knows it, and he takes advantage of it. One of my favorite parts of the Quarter Quell (besides the Katniss-Peeta "real kiss"... GAH! Kill me now!) was when Katniss and Finnick were standing guard on the beach after the Jabber Jay attack and after their serious talk about Peeta and Annie and the whole ordeal with the crazy Capitol-Engineered birds Katniss is all, "Well, it's morning. I'd better wake Peeta." and Finnick is all, "Ok, but girl! Even though we in the Quarter Quell don't mean we can't have some fun! Let's scare the poor fool awake!" and Katniss is like, "Well I was planning on waking him with breakfast in bed and a quick make out session, and I'm not sure I trust you yet, but hey! YOLO!" (Just kidding... I don't condone YOLO... it literally makes me want to salmon slap the entire Facebooking community)
Ha ha ha, but seriously! All joking aside, I really appreciated Finnick in the books as a real breath of fresh air. He was like a happier, hotter, male version of Katniss in that arena and was quite literally my favorite character in Catching Fire!
Now, that being said Lawrence (considering he accepts the offer *fingers crossed*) is going to have his work cut out for him in trying to cast this man! I mean, not only is he just 100% pure awesomeness by himself, but just about the entire female population of the world has already imagined him their their ideal perfect, beautiful man. And let's face it... no one person is going to be able to satisfy all of them, no matter how beautiful he is! Now there has been much speculation of who is actually going to play Mr. Odair in the movies, and no... it is not Zac Efron (officially at least). :) That was merely a fan made poster that gave me a heart attack! Many men have been rumored to be considered for the part, and they all have SOME things that are Finnicky, but what do I think are some of the most important characteristics of who should play the ideal Finnick are? Well let me just tell you...
-Blonde. Hair. This means that he must be a natural blonde, not a blonde out of a bottle. We can't ALL be Josh Hutcherson and just be able to pull off blonde like it was your natural color and SPLAT! Get the part!
-His eyes! Normally I'm not nit-picky like this, but if the man casted doesn't have Green or Blue eyes I might just flip! His eyes are one of the most important features and most noticed/referenced part of his appearence! I mean, if he's got brown at least put in some contacts alright?
-I've always imagined Finnick to have one of those flashy smiles that has one of those cheesey little sparkles with the chimes at the end of them... you know what I mean? So he's got to have a smile that'll make you go weak at the knees.
-He can't JUST be "pretty"... some of these contestants we are about to see are pretty, but almost on the verge of girlyness... no. Remember, he was 14 in the HUNGER GAMES, not the Quarter Quell. :)
-On the other end, he can't be to "hunky". Remember, this is Finnick, not Gale. :)
-And of course, he has to be drop dead fuh-reaking gorgeous! I expect no less! If the actor chosen doesn't make my heart race and palms sweaty and knees weak, then just... no.
So the contestants? Well, I've been reading up on this quite a bunch and many men's names have been thrown around by fans and celebrity articles for the part. Some of them are right on! And others...? Let's take a looksy shall we?

1.) Ben Stone
Photobucket
Here he is... the pretty boy himself. Wait... he IS a boy right? I think enough has been said here. This is obviously NOT Finnick. I scoff at the person who ever suggested him for the part... or any part for that matter. NEXT!

2.) Ian Sommerhalder
Photobucket
Okay... okay I can kinda sorta see this one. Just two problems. One, he's a brunette. I seriously tried googling him as a blonde and this was a light as we could get. Really sir? And secondly he's just so... popular! When people are watching this movie it'll break my heart if people are watching him as Finnick and all they can see is Boone from Lost, or Damon from the Vampire Diaries... it'll break my heart I tell you!

3.) Zac Efron
Photobucket
Yes. I can't deny he is a beautiful man. I also can't deny that he has blossomed into quite a mature and developed actor! He really could do a great job with my Finnick (yes... my Finnck) if he wasn't so gash darn commercialized and THAT is why I will not stand for him getting the part! Yes, it is selfish and closed minded, and I really do feel bad for him! High School Musical really messed his acting career up because I personally can not take him seriously. Ever. So people, this is the same problem we had with Sir Ian up there^^, people woldn't be watching Finnick they'd be watching Zac Efron... and that is just wrong. :(

4.) Alex Pettyfer
Photobucket
Alright, NOW we're getting somewhere! I am okay with this man being in the running, he is pretty darn close to being just right! He's got the blonde locks, the natural smolder, the beautiful-ness, I really would be happy if he was casted. I just have a couple little problems with him that don't necccesarilly ruin him for me... but make me think there's someone better out there.
My first issue? He's just a little bit... TOO hunky. Remember what I said before? This is Finnick we're trying to cast, not Gale, and I mean LOOK at him! He's a babe, yes, but a very very manly babe. He's almost too manly to be Finnick.
Photobucket
Plus, Finnick does go shirtless a few times or more in the book and this man has one nastay little tattoo on his chest. Umm... no thanks. I know you can cover it up and all, but really? Really?
Photobucket
Also he's one drop dead gorgeous man until... he smiles. I'm not going to comment any further, it's just goofy. :)
Photobucket

5.) Hunter Parrish
Photobucket
And there you have it folks! There he is! The man who, if not casted as Finnick Odair in the upcoming Catching Fire, will make me cry into my pillow for the next 4,000 years! People! He is the one! Not convinced?
First, look at this man's smile.
Photobucket
...I can hear the chime...
Photobucket
...can't you? :)
Next! Just look at his natural smolder!
Photobucket
He really is a beautiful man, and he is NOT a Gale! I mean thank heavens! He's gorgeous without being a lumberjack!
Still not convinced? Check out some of these videos. He sings. And he is adorable. Even though he is in the show Weeds... I forive him. But only if he plays Finnick.
Remember what I said about Finnick being adorably hilarious?
Oh, and is he hasn't made you swoon ENOUGH already!

So what are your thoughts oh lovely readers (if you still exhist that is)? Who do you think should be casted as Finnick? Do you agree/disagree with what I had to say on the matter? Do you think it's about time I stop posted about Hunger Games crap?
Ha ha ha! oh... you guys are funny. :)

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs