Thursday, January 31, 2013

An Extremely Belated New Years Resolutions Post

All right, all right. I know that we're nearly a month in now, but I couldn't take it any longer. I must blog about my 2013 Resolutions! So please forgive the belatedness of it all... it's taken a little bit longer than normal to come up with the final list, but after much contemplation (and a few major events transpiring) I have finally decided upon my five resolutions! So buckle up! It's going to be awesome. :)
---------------------------------------------------------
So those of you who know me, know that I do not take my New Years Resolutions lightly. They're not just something that I hum-drum come up with one the spot and then never think of again until the next New Years Eve! No, I take these puppies seriously.
It all started with the New Years Eve before the year of 2010 when Mimi and I spontaneously decided to swear off soda for a year as our New Years Resolution. At first I was kind of nervous. I mean, no soda? For a whole year? It just seemed so... final. But as the year went on, I began to learn two very important things about myself.
~
1. That I hated soda anyway, so swearing off the stuff wasn't as hard as I anticipated.
2. I have a strong will-power which gives me a very large amount of self-control. When I say I won't consume something for a year... I don't do it.
~
So the year of 2010 blew by gloriously! It was a hard one, I'll admit it. But some very wonderful things happened as well, and I met some very important people who contributed greatly to the plot of my story. And do you know what? Not one drop of soda entered my body for a full 365 days in a row! Not one drop! :D
It was incredible! A miracle! So many people had laughed and had said I couldn't do it, but I HAD! I felt empowered, like I could tackle anything... and so I decided to kick it up a notch. Instead of swearing off soda, I swore off... candy. Yep. Nutella basically became my best friend that year during my periods, that's all I have to say.
And do you know what surprised me? Many people became offended by my choice to go a year without candy (basically anything in a wrapper is what I defined it as, so while M&Ms, candy bars, skittles, etc. count as candy, chocolate cake or lemon bars of other baked goods did not) and would attack my reasoning/decisions. They would tell me I was being stupid and wouldn't be able to do it, or that my definition of "candy" was too loose and that I had already broken my own resolution, or that I was being a snob and thought I was better than them, or even that my decision was actually unhealthy!
Did it shock and discourage me? At points, you bet it did. But did it deter me? Not a chance! I went the whole year without a single candy bar and it felt even more liberating than the soda accomplishment had because this time...? This time I had actually abstained from something I loved, and at points craved. Even though I so wanted to and was so tempted to I never once broke the promise I had made to myself, and do you know how that felt?
Invigorating, exciting, empowering!
I wanted to know what I could do next, what else could I abstain from, but in the end decided that after two years of excluding that maybe I should give including a try! So I decided to make temple attendance one a month a priority in my life. I had been spot on with Kayleen for the two years before her missionary husband got home, but after...? Not so much. So my lovely Chi became my new temple buddy and we went almost every month (I think we missed March, August, and definitely December). Goodness, words cannot describe the feelings you feel when you are inside of those beautiful buildings. All at once the world just melt aways (if you allow if to) and suddenly nothing matters but your relationship with the Savior and the Spirit is so strong it's like two big arms giving you the biggest hug you've ever had! ...so yeah, 2012 temple attendance? Wonderful.
And so now we are in the year 2013 and I have been having the hardest time coming up with resolutions for the new year! I would write some out but they would all either be too cliche, too unrealistic, or too plain blegh. Another thing that has made 2013 resolutions so difficult to come up with has been my lack of expectations for the year. Unlike 2012, nothing is really happening (that I know of at least). Last year I knew that a few major things were going to happen: graduation, turning 18, starting college, Jeffrey coming home. This year? I just want to make it through in one healthy, happy piece, let alone accomplish some big crazy goals!
One goal that I had on the list for quite some time (that I had figured made permanent residency) was to freaking finally have my first kiss. However, in light of recent events I think it's pretty safe to say that we all know why that one was removed (which stinks because many of my 2013 plans have been based on a certain butt face for the past two years, so now what?).
Anyway, I think we all get the picture here. So after much thought and much pondering I have finally come up with what I find to be a suitable, realistic resolutions list worthy of my uncertain year up ahead.
So here it is folks:

My 2013 New Year's Resolutions:

1. Monthly Temple Attendance
 photo PicMonkeyCollage-5_zpscc359d7f.jpg
Yes, yes this one WAS my last year's resolution wasn't it? However, I was not able to meet my goal of once every month and this year I am determined to make it happen! So the goal for 2013? Temple attendance once a month at least. Twice or more is acceptable though as well.
Plus, how neat will it be to be able to do baptisms in the Gilbert Temple when it gets finished this fall?!? :D Can. NOT. Wait.
 
2. Read More 
 photo 6755468160590734_4wDzepFO_c_zps33855c88.jpg
I have a confession to make... I have never been a big reader. Ever. It makes me so sad, but reading just puts me to sleep. I want to be a book worm so badly though, and that is why I have compiled a list of books that I want to read this year and I am going to try my very hardest to read them all! So if you take a gander over at my sidebar you'll see a little button that looks just like the picture above. If you wish to see my list and which ones I've read already (or am in the process of reading) then by golly! Go ahead and click it!
I'm really not sure if I'll really be able to finish every single book in time... but it's worth a shot right? :)

3. Work Out... cliche... I know...
 photo a11b12afd46688a970a5074008f35165_zps7c160d28.jpg
So in 2012 I started doing something that I had never really done before: I began working out regularly. Ever since then I have actually really loved working out (not cardio... I hate cardio, just give me some weight and I'll lift). It's been such a huge stress reliever for me and honestly? It just makes me feel so proud of myself when I can feel myself getting stronger. So this year I have a break between 12:30 and 2:00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays where I think Mimi and I are going to become gym buddies. I also want to make it a goal to give the Insanity workout a try... I know... it's crazy and will destroy my little white butt... but it's on my bucket list and there's no time like the present, right? :)
 photo 52LISTS_zpsa9b9a4e1.pngLike I said, this year has really nothing planned for it. I mean, yes I'm going to start my hands on training for massage, but that's really it. And I'm just going to come out and say that being broken up with sucks WAY WORSE than breaking up with somebody else. So lately I've been struggling with feelings of anger and disappointment and I've been finding it difficult to focus on the here and now. But I found a link so something called 52 lists from Moorea Seal that I am so excited to be a part of. It's a type of year-long journaling project where every week you make lists of different things and at the end of the year you bind them up and I am so doing it. I am excited to be able to have something in my life that helps me to be reminded of the simple tender mercies in life... plus, who doesn't love a journaling project?
So resolution number 3? 52 Lists.

5. Have Fun
 photo 202f499cac4934553cc8d3c871a3d89f_zps6456c587.jpg
One thing that I have always known about myself is that I am very afraid of letting go. Whether it be of people, things, inhibitions, I don't like to feel vulnerable. Even if it means missing out on wonderful opportunities I often choose to opt-out even though I know it could have been wonderful. So this year I am going to try and have more fun. I've going to try to do more things for me. I'm going to try and be less afraid of making mistakes. I'm going to go to concerts, and I'm going to go on dates with boys, and I'm going to laugh and drive with the windows down and enjoy being young!
~
So there you have it... I know that these resolutions may seem vague or cliche (like really... everybody and their DOG resolves to work out in the new year) but I am really hopeful for them. I have already started my first book from the 13 Books for 2013 list and have already started my 52 Lists project as well!
So here's to 2013... one door has already been shut closed in my life so let's hope that it only means another even better one is about to open up!
Besides... who needs a boy to have great year? Right?

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs