Friday, November 26, 2010

So Close! Only Two Assignments To Go!

I know I should be finishing up my work, and I reall am so close to being done! Really! I am! Only two assignments to go! :D
However, I couldn't not post this letter I just wrote for my last reading log to the main character of The Fall of the House of Usher written by Edgar Allan Poe.
It's a dense and dismal story, please don't read it unless you have to.
But writing this letter to the main character made me very happy. :)
I'd tell you his name, but I can't. He doesn't have one. He is simly just the main character. :)
Enjoy my ramblings to a fictional character!
I quite enjoyed writing them!

Dearest Main Character of the House of Usher,
Hello. How are you sir? I just finished re-reading a work of literature written about you by a Mr. Edgar Allen Poe, and what a marvelous work of literature it is. It was enchanting, mysterious, gloomy, I could hardly stand to finish reading it and I can only imagine what it must be to be the star of it; to be perpetually trapped in the manuscript of a dismal and dry text must be an awfully lonely life.
I feel sorry for you really I do, but forgive me, though I know you had no choice, for you were written this way, I must know… why on earth did you got to the House of Usher in the first place. Please don’t recite the mumbo jumbo of the first few paragraphs, I have been gracious enough to read them for myself. I am sure that Usher’s letter to you was thrilling and heart wrenching, but didn’t the house, upon arriving, give your soul a bit of a jab? You said so yourself that the house seemed gloomy and foreboding, perhaps with even a bit of an evil air about it, and weren’t you right? Wasn’t that first step you made into the house a mistake? Do you regret ever staying in the House of Usher, because though Poe didn’t bother to write the rest of your story, I’m sure that you are so tired of the same horror. The same gullible intrigue you have with Usher, the same willingness to return back to “old times”, and the same shock upon seeing Usher’s supposedly dead sister burst into the room and murder Usher on the spot dying only moments after!
How sad you must be. Don’t you grow tired of it, main character? Repeating the same mistakes over and over again, remaining nameless yet thoroughly foolish in the minds of all of Poe’s readers, don’t you grow tired? Do you ever wish to be free, and to fly off the pages of your story and to leave that House of Usher once and for all to jump into another’s story? Perhaps The Frog Prince? Or Cinderella? Or perhaps you could travel far, far away to Where the Wild Things are. I’m sure life for you as a story character could be so much more easy and meaningful if you were to live in a story with a happy ending, and with a hopeful conclusion.
But, main character, let me leave you with this. Though Poe made you foolish, and trusting, and gullible, I’m sure that, were you to trade places with Cinderella, that she wouldn’t have been able or willing to bear the burden of nursing an old friend back to health as you did. Cinderella may have had luck and grace on her side, but you, main character, had something she never did. You were brave, and you had a heart, and you were willing to risk your own comfort for a man you barely knew anymore, and that is why I think you deserve a chance to close your eyes, and breathe, and brace yourself the next time somebody reads your story. We already know what will happen if you take one step inside that house, and we already know that you will.
I remain sympathetically, and honestly yours,
Jadyn Hicks

...wasn't that fun? :)

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs