Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Picture of Myself Two Years Ago

Are y'all ready for this one?
In March of 2011 (it's so strange to think that that was two years ago. At first I went into my archives for March of 2010 but had to stop myself and say... "wait! It's 2013!") I had just finished up taking part in my very first (and only) Youth Conference. The whole thing was missionary centered and we all got to open up our individual mission calls, report to the MTC, to to our missions, eat authentic food, pair up into companion ships, and go to the homes of new or less active members and teach lessons and boy was it amazing!
Looking back, I remember that that weekend was the first time that I had ever been able to sit down and consider a mission. I didn't know it at the time, but Heavenly Father knew that down the road he was going to inspire the first presidency to lower the mission age and that I would need to have already entertained the thought once or twice before having that bomb dropped on me.
This period was also a time in my life where I finally (for the first time) started feeling comfortable in my new stake/ward. I remember always feeling so displaced with the kids my age and not knowing where I fit in, and (seeing as I had yet to go to a Girls Camp with them) this was my first REAL experience of getting down, bonding, and letting my hair down with these people that I had fixed myself to dislike. At the end of the conference they let us all loose in a giant mud vat (easily one of the most fun things I have ever done) and let us demolish each other.
Needless to say, I got a little dirty. :)
Overall, when I look at this picture a lot of emotions come back.
This was right on the outside edge of easily one of the hardest, most emotional times of my young life. I was just beginning to feel like I was fitting in after months and months of being the outsider at Basha and in my ward. I was finally beginning to let my hair down and allow myself to be okay with the option of making NEW friends. This picture was also taken about a week before I lost my dear friend Rachel to illness, which was another hit to the teetering tower I was beginning to rebuild for myself.
But I survived. I survived gloriously and came out stronger, happier, more confident, and more faithful than ever. :)

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs