Monday, May 9, 2011

An Angel Who Watched Over Me

Once upon a time there was a girl named Jadyn Maree. Jadyn Maree was four years old and did not have any friends yet (as most four year olds don't). I was just learning social skills and how to share and dress myself properly and the world was still lovely (who am I kidding, it still is lovely!)


Once upon that time my lovely mother announced that I was going to come with her around the block (i.e. the other side of the universe) to go to a Ward friend's house. Why did I want to go? Well she had a daughter my age! Maybe I'd make a friend!


Pfft! Yeah right, and maybe I'd test into college 14 years early!


But I went anyway because... well I had no choice.


Tis the life of a toddler.


Well we got there, I walked in, pig tails and overalls and shyness galore, when out walked a little strawberry blonde friendly little girl in a frilly dress who looked about my age. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad afterall!


We went up to her room and there were stuffed animals everywhere! And she was more than happy to share them! But alas, I was still a bit shy.


Then she told me that she loved dogs! And whatdyaknow! So did I! Ok, maybe this was getting a little bit better and maybe my mother was right!


So THEN do you know what she asked me? Oh I'll tell you what she asked me.


"Hey Jadyn, do you like Nerds?"


*gasp* Those were my favorite candies! Could this get any better???


"And do you like trampolines? Because we have one in our backyard if you want to play on it."


Oh boy, we're having fun now! After nodding vigorously and taking a box of pink nerds downstairs and out into the backyard we sat on her trampoline and shared a box of candy and told each other EVERYTHING about our crazy little toddler lives. While sitting on that trampoline and sharing that box of nerds I had no idea that this little girl would become my very best friend in the whole world and that for the next many moons we would do nearly everything together.


Photobucket



From watching movies, to sleepovers, to swim parties, to trampoline jumping contests, to make believe, to real life, to matress surfing, to the big comfy couch, to eating pickles with sugar, to Harry Potter, to learning how to sing, to turning milk into pumpkin juice, to making mazes out of video cassette tapes for hamsters, to holding funerals for said hamster, to learning about sunscreen, to making flower jewelry, to pokemon, to cursing neighborhood cats for pooping in our playground sand, to painting, to making those little bead things that bake in the oven, to learning about manners, to funny older brothers, to funny younger brothers, to silly dreams, to learning about why it's bad to steal, to learning the difference between rich and poor, from in the hospital, to starting elementary school, Rachel Ewer was the best friend I ever had and was the girl who taught me what it really meant to be a friend. Everything I am now I really do owe to her. She was the most selfless forgiving talented girl on earth... and I say "was" because she passed away on April 6, 2011.



I've been trying to write this post for quite some time now, and I haven't known quite what to say. I mean, what do you say to express exactly what somebody so special meant to you and how it feels not to have them in your life anymore?


Upon hearing about her death (my mom was sweet enough to break the news to me after I got out of school) the first thing that went through my mind was, "When was the last time I saw her? What did I say to her? Why didn't I know she was so sick?" You see, it's harder to stay in touch as you get older than it is to do when you're little, and as Rachel and I got into Junior High we started seeing each other less and less. I think the last time I ever saw or spoke to her was in 8th grade. Once we got into High School other things took precidence.


She did so many things in her short life, more than I've been able to do, and she served and blessed the lives of so many with her kindness and thoughtfulness. She made me want to be a better person and still does, and even though my soul is so so lonely for my dear friend, and even though I wish so hard that I could tell her how much she meant to me that it aches, I know that she is in the Lord's hands now.


She continues to bless lives today, both people who are still living on this earth, and the people who get to meet her now in the Spirit world. Rachel Elizabeth Ewer was truly and angel sent from heaven. How she managed to be to thoughtful, selfless, smart, spiritual, sarcastic, AND talented all at the same time is beyond me! :) So here's to Rachel, one of the best girls I have ever been blessed enough to know.





Rachel you were the best friend I've ever had. We never had one fight and I give all of the credit of that to you. You taught me how to forgive, and how to laugh at myself. You also taught me how to love the gospel and try new things and be outgoing. People at school have told me that I'm nice... again, I give all of the credit to you! :) If they had met you, it'd make me seem like the meanest girl on the planet! You were beautiful from the insideout, and I only hope that I was able to have at least a fraction of an impact on your much too short life that you had on mine. I'm so glad that you are no longer in pain, and I wish that I could have been there for you more. Now there is NO WAY that you're not making it to the Celestial Kingdom, so you'd better save me a seat girly, or I'll kick your butt! We have sooo much catching up to do. :)


Love, Your Best Friend,


Jadyn Maree

1 comment:

Emily Jardine said...

I'm so sorry, Jadyn Maree. :( If there's anything I can do, please tell me. I wish I had known her, she seems like she was a great girl. I know you will meet her again in the Celestial Kingdom. :)
I miss you so much! We really do need to have a Veggie Tale party! Like for reals!

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs